Home Sweet Home Affairs



You know how frustrating a day at the Department of Motor Vehicles can be?  That ain’t nothing my friend.  Try getting a Visa in South Africa.  Here’s a little taste of what a day in Home Affairs is like.  This blog tells of my first attempt at the department of Home Affairs back in April and I have had three more runs at it since then.  Visa status still unknown.

I arrive at Home Affairs with one simple objective – obtain an application for a Permanent Resident Permit.  Upon entering, I see it is one huge room with hundreds of people sitting around.  There is a row of windows across the front with grimacing government employees behind glass and each window has a long queue.  That’s a fancy word for line, and they never say 'line' here.  You queue up.  Have you ever seen so many vowels in a row, I mean queue? 
A queue in South Africa.  They have a different concept of personal space.
So as not to waste time in the wrong queue, I stood in line at the Info desk for half an hour to find out which window to go queue in.  The Info lady sends me out of the building to another building and the sign on that door says Temporary Permits.  I don’t want a Temporary Permit, I want permanent.  But the Info lady must know what’s she’s talking about right?  That’s her job to know where to send people, that’s ALL she does all day long.  So I go in.  Inside, there are benches along three walls facing inward and a couple facing forward in the middle.  All the benches are full.  There are no windows to queue in front of or signs with helpful instructions.  I walk through the middle of the room past all the people glaring at me and enter a hallway.  A lady sitting at a chair just inside the doorway stops me.  Gruffly, boredly, “Why are you here?”
Me: I need an application for a Permanent Resident Permit.
“Go back out there and sit down.”  She doesn’t take my name or give me a number.  I go sit down.  There’s no clear system.  I refrain from my innate urge to organize the benches so there’s a beginning and an end.  Periodically a person pops up and goes into the back.  How do they know who’s next?  New people walk in.  Sensing a fellow lost soul, they ask me, “Is this the queue?” 
Me:  No.
Confused new people: Then where do I go? 
Me:  I don’t know.
They sit down next to me.  It felt a bit like Alice in Wonderland.  If only a white rabbit would hop on by so I could follow him.  In sudden horror, I realized that I had left my cell phone in the truck, and worse, it is visible in the center console.  Someone will break the window to get it.  But I can’t leave, what if the Permanent Resident Permit expert comes out to get me and I miss my window of opportunity and have to start all over again waiting?  Another hour goes by.  A glutton for punishment, I go back to the lady.
Me: I just want to make sure I’m in the right place.  The door says Temporary Permits and I want a Permanent Permit. 
Lady: Yes, all permits are done here.  Are you waiting to get a form?
Me: Yes, I need a form and I want to set up an appointment for an interview.
Lady: What kind of form?
"Permanent Resident."   I am quite pleased with myself that no sarcasm or exasperation has crept into the tone of my voice.
Lady: You can’t get that here.  That’s next door.
Me: I was next door, they sent me here.
Lady: They don’t know what they are talking about.  Go next door to Room 21, Permanent Resident Permits.
Me: Why didn’t you tell me that to begin with?
Lady: Dumb stare.
I go back next door and bypass the Info lady, careful not to make eye contact, in search of Room 21.
I spy Door 23, Birth certificates.  Then Door 22, Citizenship.  Getting close… but the next door in line is 43.
Of course, makes perfect sense, 23, 22, 43.  But the Door 43 sign says Permanent Resident, so I overlook the mathematical anomaly.  Sign further reads:  "Enquiries & Forms 11 – 3, Interviews 8 – 11.  Don’t Interrupt.It’s now after 2:00 so the interview period is over.  I knock on the door.  A guy sitting on a bench outside the door meekly warns me, “Don’t knock.  There’s someone in there.” 
Me: Well how do I know if I don’t knock?
Meek man, obviously beaten down by hours of waiting: Just sit down.
Again no visible queue, just sitters waiting for any one of the doors to open. 
I cheerfully call out, “Who’s waiting for Room 43 like me?”  The sea of zombies does not reply.  I sit.  The man next to me is in traditional dress wearing a cow skin with chunks of skin still attached wrapped around his waist and a feather anklet.  Room 43 door opens and I bound in.  Not to get away from the Zulu, just wanting to get my application at last and be on my merry way.
I explain the situation to the man behind the desk.  “I have been here on a Volunteer Visa but I have had an offer of permanent employment so I would like a Permanent Resident Permit application please.”
Rajeev (I learned in subsequent trips because he was actually quite helpful): It doesn’t work that way in our country.  You have to be on a Work Permit for 5 years before you can apply for Permanent Resident.
“But look what it says right here, I printed it off the Home Affairs web page.”
“The web page is wrong.  You should just extend your Volunteer Visa.”
“I don’t want to be a Volunteer anymore, I am out of money.  I want to get paid.  How do I get a Work Permit?”
“Your employer has to meet 20 requirements, you can’t get that done in 6 days before your Volunteer Visa expires.”
“Can I leave the country for a while and then come back in so I get another 90 day Visitor Visa and that will give me time to get the Work Permit done?”
“Depends.  If they don’t look at all the pages of your passport, they will stamp you for 90 days.  But the border guard may see that you are expired and not let you back in.  Your options are to extend your Volunteer Visa and don’t get paid or apply here for a Holiday Visa to give you 90 days to get a Work Permit or Exceptional Skills permit.”
“Ok, give me a Holiday permit.”
“I don’t do that.  You have to go back next door.”
So back I go to Temporary Permits.  Talk to same uber friendly lady.  “I need forms for Holiday Visa and Exceptional Skills Permit.”
“Have a seat, someone will help you.”
Another hour goes by.  Lady is calling names.  She didn’t take my name down.  They are never going to call me.  I am holding back tears.  Jeesh, I’m just trying to help you decrease rape in your country.  I just want to help.  Why won’t you let me?  I could say I am here to start a business, which I am, PLAY.  But I don’t have $250,000 in my banking account – that’s the requirement.  I’m only $240,000 short.
Now it’s almost closing time.  A man comes out, “Everybody left out here, follow me.”  We stumble into the back.  Takes him all of 5 minutes to distribute various forms to the mob of people who had been waiting all day just to get a blank form.  They couldn't have done this hours ago?  Finally, I am the only one left.  “I want a 90 day Visitor visa form and an Exceptional skill Visa form.”
“Why do you want both?”
I explain.  He transforms into a snarling badger, “You can’t change back and forth between status.”
Surprised by his attack, I stammer, “I I I I’m not.  I have worked for the last 3 years for free.  For 3 years I took care of orphans in your country and did not get paid.  I have now been offered a job and I’d like to take it.”
“You said you wanted to volunteer.  You can’t change your mind.”
“Well I can’t work for free forever, I am out of money.”
“You should have thought of that before you came from America.”
“Are you telling me I can’t get a work permit?”  I was beyond tears, now I was angry.
“Why do you have a process in place to get one if it’s not possible?  Work Permit Applications exist, why can’t I have one?”
Badger backed down, “Ok, come with me.”  Down the hallway we go.  He sits at a desk in a dreary gray office mere inches larger than the desk.
“What are your exceptional skills?  Why should we keep you in our country?  What can you offer?”
“I am a lawyer, I have a doctorate of jurisprudence, a law degree.  I have a job offer from an organization that wants to use those skills.”
“Ok, you are right, you have skills we need.  Here’s what you need to do.  Go to the building next door and ….”

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Dear helpful stranger (aka Garth), is that a South Africa form? It doesn't appear to match any of the forms from Home Affairs here. They all start with BI - then numbers. What is this mystery form you cite?

      Delete
  2. Lisa, Lisa is this a lesson in patience. TIA you said it.............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa! It's Lisa! :o) I am so proud of you for making this step to help as your life's calling. I hope I can be in a position to go back to Africa in the future, as well. I have been thinking about possibilities for you based on my WAfrican Peace Corps experience. Have you tried the US Embassy or the Local Peace Corps office? They have many local people there that may be able to help! If you have already, here is another suggestion. Mark Mathabane wrote the “Kaffir Boy” series. He is now a professor and author that lives in Portland. However, he grew up in the slums of JoBerg. He has a website: http://www.mathabane.com/. From his books he looks like someone who could help. Also, I worked with Global 2000, the Carter Foundation African aid organization: http://www.cartercenter.org/involved/index.html .They may have some suggestions. I hope that his information is helpful! I would love to send you the Kaffir boy books if you have not already read them. Please let me know your physical address one you are settled. Love you and I you will forever be my vball partner, even if it’s in both of our past lives. I miss the ocean as well… Also, I know that you have to remind yourself of this every day, but please always remember that you are there to help one person at a time…you will make a huge difference in their lives, but you can never solve the continent’s problems. You still have the power to help so many, again, one person at a time :o) Love you! Lis xxoo :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa! Thank you so much for your ideas and suggestions. I haven't given up yet on Home Affairs but if I have problems I am definitely going to contact each one of the places you suggest!
      I went to a training where they showed a video of Mathabane speaking and he was so good. I want to read the Kaffir Boy series but haven't. Books here are SO expensive. That is so sweet of you to offer to send them - I would love that! But I don't have an address to receive mail right now. I move too much. I hope when i come back in February that I can be more settled and have a PO box. But since I only have 3 months left before going back to USA it didn't pay to get a box. Thanks for reading my blogs and taking the time to help me and write words of encouragement! Love, Lisa

      Delete
  4. Hi Lisa; Sounds like a problem that can be solved by painting lines on the floor so people will know where to stand. Maybe you can impress them by offering this suggestion. That, and a manual, and you are all set. Love, Uncle Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to paint lines and post signs. I would make a great efficiency expert. It's just a skill that doesn't seem to be valued here. They are efficiency averse.

      Delete
  5. Hi Lisa, oh my, you are constantly bringing back memories of my life in Zimbabwe. It is a way of life there, and it develops character, especially patience. It took me 6 months to get through a short "to do" list when I first arrived in Zim -- which should have taken one afternoon. Trying to get my work permit, and car, and phone, and goods from US, all went through the process you are describing. It can be disheartening. But, I finally discovered that to get anything, when I walked into someone's office, I first had to be -- or at least pretend to be -- in a relaxed mode and chat to them about their family. By taking an interest in them personally, many doors were finally opened for me.
    Good luck -- I know what you're going through. Very frustrating! Love, Thea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thea, i see you understand! People in USA don't seem to get how long it takes to get things done over here so PLAY is taking a long time to launch! so many hurdles...
      Thanks for the reminder about taking the time to chat. I know that to be true but sometimes I forget, in the excitement of finally getting to talk to a person! As a lawyer, i tend to get right down to business. That doesn't work well here in Africa. I will work on it!

      Delete
  6. Its Rick, WOW sounds like "Who Is On First" hahaha.....Understand the enemy wants you to be discouraged and give up, because he is afraid of the success you will have once you are in. You are one of the strongest women I know, and I will be praying for you to be successful and your finances to be in order. You are a blessing to Africa!
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rick! I'm not ready to give up yet! Thank you for the prayers, I definitely need them. Thank you for the blessing you were to Africa when you came in August - sounds like it was a successful mission. Sorry i couldn't be there to share the programs with you! that would have been awesome after everything you did to help get me to Africa in the first place. Blessings, Lisa

      Delete

Post a Comment