The Labyrinth



It sits in the middle of a gorgeous garden in Kloof, South Africa - the labyrinth.  I was thinking this was some type of new agey thing or maybe an ancient druid thing, but the sign said it was based on an 11th century Christian design, with “divine” geometry.  It’s not a maze which has choices to make and dead ends if you choose wrong.  There is only one way to go and you will end up in the center.  I liked the odds of my success!  

It didn't have high hedge walls, just a low grass path marked by bricks.  I could see people winding back and forth, back and forth, quietly staying within the brick lines.  The sign said that with each 180 degree turn, you will be more centered.  I was unsure – will I find my spiritual center... or just feel like sheeple.  I’ve never been very good at staying within the lines.

I started in.  Winding, winding, turning, turning.  Just when I think I am there, the peaceful yet taunting bench in the center, it takes me back out to the outer ring!  Turn turn turn turn turn.  Now I’m in the middle.  No, no I’m not.  Some of the little kids trying it gave up and skipped a few rows.  One little girl just sat down and started sucking her thumb.   

I knew how she felt.  An older couple stepped aside to let me pass.  Evidently they could tell that I was in a hurry.  Wow, am I goal oriented or what?  Must.  Get.  To.  The.  Middle.  Why?  Why do I have to get there and why do I have to do it fast?  No one is watching to see how long it takes me to get there.  Guess this turned out to be a learning experience after all. 

This labyrinth reminds me of my life here in Africa.  Everything goes so slowly, frustrating twists and turns.  Just when you think you are close to accomplishing something, another turn and you are just as far away as you were when you started.  Rrrgggghhhh.  And me thinking I need to get to my goal NOW - everybody's watching!   So I can sit down and suck my thumb, I can take shortcuts and miss the whole point, or I can take off my shoes and enjoy the grass under my bare feet.  Look up from the path and see the beauty around me.  It’s also okay to be brainless for a little while, no decisions to make, just follow the path, keep putting one foot in front of the other.   I’ll get there.  Eventually.

I don't know what this is but it is the most beautiful flower I have ever seen and is almost as big as my head.
Did Georgia O'Keeffe paint this picture?  No, Lisa Poll took it!


These Star Trek beauties just stick out of trees

Orchids dripping from the trees



Comments

  1. I love the photos and I love the story. It is always so hard to remember not to hurry, not to be solely focussed on the goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first huge flower - I got a plant at a garage sale, and a few months later, that flower appeared. Imagine my surprise! Someone told me what it is on FB. Can't find it off hand, but it is there in my photos with the comment, if you are ever bored...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a beautiful surprise you got! Was it as big as your head?
      Jill Cholewa says it is a Christmas Cactus.

      Delete
  3. Great story. You will have a wonderful book someday. You're a very interesting writer.
    Thea
    Aptos, california

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, as big as your head, we have those type of flower on our front porch however, they have been shrunk, as long as my little finger, may be, are their size, will try to post some photos on Facebook, may be...right Christmas Cactus in bloom right now two weeks before Hallowee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zygocactus, native to South America. Genus Schlumbergera. They are Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter Cacti here because they are silly enough to bloom in our winter. How do they know it's summer on the other side of the world if all they have is our photoperiod and weather? Hmmmm? Too many years working in research greenhouses.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, well my zygocactus schlumbergera is bigger than your zygocactus schlumbergera!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! And good work and luck with unprogramming/realigning yourself with all the corporate action-item word barf that emphasises "productivity" over enjoyment. Gotta love those new-age African druids!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment