Buy A Donkey 4/11/10


It is only fitting that the first phrase (okay, only phrase) I have learned in Afrikaans is thank you, because I have so much to be grateful for!
You pronounce it “Buy A Donkey,” I don’t know how to spell it. I need to find an Afrikaans phrase book. I thought I could get by on English and my amazing miming skills (only surpassed by Leslie, who on our trip to Greece somehow successfully mimed to an old fisherman who didn’t speak any English that her friends were stranded on the rocks around the corner and he must come rescue us in his boat). It looks like I am going to have to learn a new language, several in fact. South Africa has eleven official languages, English, Afrikaans, and nine African languages. At least I have one of the nine down, right? Think again my friend. I spent 15 hours on the plane sitting next to a man from South Africa and I couldn’t understand what he was saying. I asked him what language he was speaking. He said, “English.”
They have different English words for many things: Nappy for diaper, Braai for Barbeque, Storktie for baby shower, serviette for napkin. In case you haven’t guessed, my first social event was a baby shower. I was also at an extreme cultural disadvantage in the shower game department. How am I supposed to know what type of chocolate candy bar is melted into a gooey mess in the baby diaper (I mean, Nappy) when they have different names for them all? I could swear that was a Milky Way I was scooping out of the nappy and eating with a plastic spoon.
Now back to my buyadonkey list.
I am thankful that my parents stayed at the airport with me through check in, so they could haul home with them (in a garbage bag Dad snagged from a maintenance man) 11 pounds of precious items that I had to remove from my suitcase because it was over the weight allowance. (I made a bad call removing the umbrella, it was raining when I landed.)
Thankful that Mom convinced me to bring my Easter candy on the plane, so I wouldn’t have to eat pizza and garbanzo beans for breakfast. I am not kidding – that is what the airline served.
Thankful that I arrived safely and had a wonderful welcome committee of Johan & Christa to pick me up at the airport.
Thankful for my new home – an apartment in the back yard of Johan’s brother’s house. Christa had stocked it with food and Johan’s mom put a vase of fresh flowers on the table. I am not so thankful for the rooster whose internal alarm clock is set for 3:30 a.m., which is NOT sunrise, and who doesn’t stop crowing until I give up and get up three hours later. (okay, four)
Thankful for Amanda & Adrian who kindly offered to let me rent their guest house and then made me feel so welcome, bringing me food and cold supplies (yep, picked up a nasty bug on the plane.) Then, when they heard about my rooster issue, they moved the chicken coop to the other side of the house. How sweet is that?!!
Thankful that Johan gave me a few days to get over my jet lag, head cold, & rooster-induced-insomnia. I will start work tomorrow.
Thankful for my little butane curling iron since I did not think to pack a prong adapter and currency converter for my myriad of beauty appliances. (And yet - I thought of a butane curling iron?)
Thankful that it was sooo hard to leave the USA. It is GOOD that I have so much to miss, so many friends and family that I love dearly.
And last but not least, I am thankful for all of you who made this opportunity possible. Buyadonkey to you.

Comments