Watter dier se mis es dit daardie? 4/28/10

I think you can tell a lot about a country by what phrases they feel the need to include in their language guides.
"Watter dier se mis es dit daardie?" This particular Afrikaans phrase means “Which animal’s droppings are those?” I bought a tiny phrasebook called “Hello South Africa” and I can now ask which animal made these droppings in 11 languages. Evidently the situation arises often enough where this phrase was deemed helpful. I have traveled to Nicaragua, Belize, Costa Rica, Mexico, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Greece. The issue never came up.
I have already experienced the situation, not exactly the way the authors of the phrasebook had in mind. Poor Amanda, I asked her to identify the poop on my pillow. Sorry, but how else am I going to learn these things? Is it bug, rodent, lizard? I need to know how to get rid of the poorly housetrained critter, don’t I? She believes it was Gecko dropping. This is a good thing, they are awfully cute and they eat bugs. So no need to trap or spray… but I wonder if I can train them to use a litter box.
The phrasebook I’m sure was referring to the bigger animals that you might want to know if they are in the vicinity: lions, elephants, rhinos, wildebeests. Gotta love this country.
2 more phrases they thought I would need:
Dis ‘n lieflike dag – It’s a beautiful day!
Dankie vir die gasvryheid – thanks for the hospitality.
Yep, I know I will use these a lot.

Comments