Happy Anniversary to Me

This weekend marked the two year anniversary of my move to South Africa. Back then it wasn’t a “move”, just a one year volunteer stint. But now that it’s permanent, people on both continents are asking me, WHY? The answer is long and complicated, more than I can toss out in a response that people will stick around long enough to hear. I really need to come up with a short answer that will satisfy the baffled crowds. I’m still working on it.

In the meantime, I can share with you a few things I noticed upon returning to South Africa after being gone for a few months.

Reasons why I hate this country:

They tell you right to your face, Lisa, you’ve gotten so fat.

Police road block on exit ramp from the airport. Not in the country 10 minutes and they’re already at it, for no reason. No reason needed.

Oom Piet’s obnoxious new goose. Oom Piet is Johan’s 80 year old father who lives in an apartment that is part of the Afnet guest house that I am currently staying in. This goose is definitely not laying any golden eggs. Based on the horrible painful squawks emanating from her beak at all hours of day and night, sounds like she's perpetually passing a pinecone.

Aversion to screens on the window. Flies, mosquitoes, cockroaches, spiders, lizards – come on in, make yourself at home. Seriously, Africa, what do you have against screens? Simple invention, been around for years.

Reasons why I love this country:


Being told you are fat is a compliment, skinny is not attractive.

The great white smile you get as the police man waves you through the road block. I love getting waved through road blocks, like I’m getting away with something even though I know I haven’t done anything wrong.

Oom Piet has a goose and 2 rabbits for companions – they never leave his doorway. This would not be allowed in a residential facility for seniors in America.

No screens – there is no counterpoint to this argument. So I’ll just list more of the things I love about this country. The accents – so many accents – dozens of languages and each speaks English with a different accent. Of course, to them, I am the one with the funny accent that they like to hear, and I like that too.

Another thing I love, people are not ashamed to express and show their love of God, in public or in church. Today I had a glimpse of heaven. It was Resurrection Sunday service at my church in Pretoria – that’s what they call it here, not Easter. There was an hour of singing before the message but today felt different. It felt as if the roof of the church disappeared and we were all singing with the heavenly hosts. We were the heavenly hosts. 3000 voices but one heart lifted in song. Faces of all colors joined together, holding nothing back. Our voices and our hands rising higher and higher in praise. A woman next to me began to laugh, she could not contain her joy. She kept laughing and laughing, her happiness bubbling out of her. Some were moved to tears, to dance, others to their knees. I didn’t want it to end, and someday it won’t. If that’s what it’s like in heaven, I can’t wait to get there!

But as Pastor Rene says, if you’re still here, that means God has something for you to do. I’m thinking God wants me to do it here in South Africa. Guess that’s my answer.

Comments

  1. I love hearing about the Resurrection service, about your love of Africa, and most especially, why you are there. There is great joy in your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless you, Lisa, for giving your life to those South African orphans! So glad that you could celebrate Resurrection Sunday, too, reminding us that we'll all be resurrected! John & I get to see Pastor Rene monthly now as we attend Christian Leaders' Network (CLN). Mark Hillenga, Twin Lake's "Life Development Pastor" spoke at CLN in March, sharing 1 Corinthians 12, saying "I'm not going to preach, I'm just going to read you God's Word.
    The fact that we all have different gifts is what MAKES us ALL different! And YOU have gifts that "means God has something for you to do," in a place that's different, too. (If I'd been single, that might be what I'd have done!)
    Love always from Judy Hixson

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment